The collaborative, as well as the individual works, of myself and Bailey. I hope you enjoy, for we have enjoyed writing it. -Lucas

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Pew of Echoes

I stood outside this little building,
not sure what I was looking for, just wanting to be alone,
but Temptation lurked beyond my reach,
waiting for me,
beckoning me,
calling my name.
He stood before my very eyes,
drawing me closer. But as I made my way to him,
Conscience crept up beside me.
She led me to a pew in the back,
far away from him, from Temptation.
Conscience sat with me amidst the silence.
She whispered in my ear;
she held my hand.
As time passed by, Guidance joined me in the pew.
I hadn't seen him in a while,
and I was surprised to find him here.
He looked at me,
asked me to stand.
He said “come along”,
and grabbed my hand.
I was wary when I saw him kneel by that mourner's bench,
but eventually I did the same.
I didn't know what to pray for;
I didn't even know who to pray to.
Quickly discouraged, losing hope,
and about to leave,
It was then that I felt the hand of Faith fall on my shoulders.
She told me who to pray to,
and what to pray for.
I was hesitant to believe her.
Her words too good to be true
But Guidance calmed my doubtful mind.
So,
on my knees, I started to pray.
I prayed for Love to find me,
I prayed for Hope to call my name.
I prayed for Strength to stand beside me,
I prayed for Wisdom to be my friend.
I prayed for Pride to stop following me,
I prayed for Temptation to leave me alone.
I prayed for Hate to vacate my shadow,
I prayed for Despair's reign to end.
I stayed inside that little building for hours,
my prayers never ceasing.
The mourner's bench was wet with my tears and crowded by my companions.
Guidance told me not to look back;
Hate and Despair were watching me,
and Temptation was mocking me.
Faith told me not to give up on Hope;
her soft and vibrant voice would soon speak my name.
When all was said, and the words rested in my ears
I bowed my head, and continued to pray, but
At that very moment, the door opened--a man had walked in.
As he strolled down the aisle, Hate shrunk down in his seat,
and Temptation cowered on the floor.
Despair, that seemingly overbearing fellow,
was nowhere to be found.
When the man approached us,
Faith and Guidance shined like the stars, and Hope,
thought lost for so long,
appeared with a whisper of my name on her lips.
I was about to speak,
But in that fading moment, the man reached out to touch me.
I felt his touch in my heart--I felt the warmth of it on my soul.
I knew this man,
this man knew me, and all that I would ever be.
This man was Salvation, and he had come to take me home.
-Bailey

            Writing with Lucas

1 comment:

  1. wow wow wow how amazing you are what an amazing piece

    ReplyDelete